Most common myths about Cosmetics Safety
- If it’s for sale at a supermarket, drugstore, or department store cosmetics counter, it must be safe.
- The cosmetics industry effectively polices itself, making sure all ingredients meet a strict standard of safety.
- The government prohibits dangerous chemicals in personal care products, and companies wouldn’t risk using them.
- Cosmetic ingredients are applied to the skin and rarely get into the body. When they do, levels are too low to matter.
- Products made for children or bearing claims like “hypoallergenic” are safer choices.
- Natural and organic products are always safer.
- The government would promptly recall any product that injures people.
- Consumers can read ingredient labels and avoid products with hazardous chemicals.
Do you want to know if the products you use are safe? Then check EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database. They have information about +70000 products from almost 3000 brands. You might be surprised about what you find there!